professor, head of department
biology-geography teacher, geomorphology (1989)
PhD (Earth Sciences, ELTE, 1995)
Habilitation: 2004 (ELTE, earth sciences)
Doctor of Science (Hungarian Academy of Sciences, 2008)
Volcanological and volcanic geomorphological research in the Carpathians (mostly in the Börzsöny-Visegrád and Mátra Mts, and the East Carpathians), Italy (Etna, Aeolian Islands), France, Central Andes, Japan, and the Southwest USA.
Location: Southern Block 1.304
Phone: +36 1 3722500/1810
- Endogenous forces of Earth
- Physical geography of Hungary and the Carpatho-Pannonian Region
- Fundamentals of enviromental politics
- Global environmental problems
- Volcanic mountains of Earth
- New results in volcanic geomorphology I-II (PhD course)
Scientific Public Life
- Member of public body of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- Member of Hungarian Geographical Society and Hungarian Geological Society
- International correspondent of Geology Today (Wiley-Blackwell)
- Member of IAVCEI (International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth’s Interior)
- Member and vice president of the advisory board of Magyary Zoltán Board of Trustees
- Member of the ELTE TTK Committee of Disciplinary Procedures
Prizes, Awards, National Scholarships
- National Students’ Competition, Debrecen, First Prize in Physical Geography (1989)
- Outstanding Young Geographer, Hungarian Geographical Society (1989)
- Medal of Life and Science Magazine, Budapest (1997)
- Hungarian Research Fund – Life and Science Magazine Popular Science Publication Award Third Prize (2007)
- Magyary Zoltán Postdoctoral Fellowship (1999-2001)
- Scholarship of the Bay Zoltán Foundation, 2 months, France (2001) and Italy (2006)
- Bolyai János Fellowship (2002-2004)
- Öveges József Fellowship (2006-2007)
International grants, scholarships
- Scholarship of the Hungarian Scholarship Board Office and the Cultural Department of French Embassy, 2 months (Clermont-Ferrand, France, 2000)
- DAAD 2 months bilateral cooperation (ELTE/Universität Tübingen, Germany, 2001-2002)
- Fulbright Research Grant, 9 months, Fulbright Commission (2004-2005, Arizona, USA)
- Humboldt Fellowship for Experienced Researchers, 18 months, Humboldt Stiftung (2008-2010, Göttingen, Germany)
10 Selected Publications
- Favalli, M.. – Karátson, D. – Yepes, J. – Nannipieri, L.. 2014: Surface fitting in geomorphology – examples for regular-shaped volcanic landforms. Geomorphology, 221, 139–149.
- Karátson, D. – Telbisz, T. – Wörner, G., 2012: Erosion rates and erosion patterns of Neogene to Quaternary stratovolcanoes in the Western Cordillera of the Central Andes: an SRTM DEM based analysis. Geomorphology, 139-140, 122–135.
- Karátson, D. – Favalli, M. – Tarquini, S. – Fornaciai, A. – Wörner, G., 2010: The regular shape of stratovolcanoes: a DEM-based morphometrical approach. – Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 193, 171–181
- Karátson, D. – Telbisz, T. – Singer, B. B. 2010: Late-stage volcano-geomorphic evolution of the Pleistocene San Francisco Mountain, Arizona (USA), on the basis of high-resolution DEM analysis and Ar-Ar chronology. – Bulletin of Volcanology, 72, 833–846
- Karátson, D. 2007, 2009: A Börzsönytől a Hargitáig. Vulkanológia, felszínfejlődés, ősföldrajz. Typotex Kiadó, Budapest, ISBN 978-963-9664-66-1, 463 ppt
- Favalli, M. - Karátson, D. - Mazzuoli, R. - Pareschi, M. T.-Ventura, G. 2005: Volcanic geomorphology and tectonics of the Aeolian archipelago (Southern Italy) based on integrated DEM data. Bulletin of Volcanology, 68, p. 157-170.
- Székely, B. - Karátson, D. 2004: DEM-based volcanic geomorphology as a tool for reconstructing volcanic edifices: examples from the Börzsöny Mts, North Hungary. Geomorphology, 63, p. 25-37.
- Karátson, D. - Sztanó, O.-Telbisz, T. 2002: Preferred clast orientation in volcaniclastic mass-flow deposits: application of a new photo-statistical method. Journal of Sedimentary Research, 72/6, p. 823-835.
- Karátson, D. - Thouret, J.-Cl. - Moriya, I. - Lomoschitz, A. 1999: Erosion calderas: origins, processes, structural and climatic control. Bulletin of Volcanology, 61, p. 174-193.
- Karátson, D. 1996: Rates and factors of stratovolcano degradation in a continental climate: a complex morphometric analysis of nineteen Neogene/Quaternary crater remnants in the Carpathians. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 73, p. 65-78.
Selected Research Grants
- Geochronological, volcanological and geomorphological studies in the East Carpathians (participant); Hungarian-Romanian bilateral cooperation between Nuclear Research Institute of Hungarian Academy of Sciences (MTA) and ELTE Department of Physical Geography, Hungary, and Institutul Geologie al Romaniei (Bucharest) and SA Cuart (Baia Mare), Romania (1991-1993, 1994-1996)
- Volcanological and geochemical studies in Miocene to Pliocene volcanic products of the Pannonian Basin (participant); No. 05/2 MTA/CNR academic collaboration between ELTE Department of Petrology-Geochemistry and Physical Geography, Hungary, and Universitá di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra and Universitá di Urbino, Istituto di Vulcanologia e Geochimica, Italy (1995-97)
- Complex volcanological-geomorphological study of the areas of Börzsöny Mts and Bükk foreland, project leader, OTKA (Hungarian National Research Fund) F015629, 432,000 HuF (1995-1998)
- Volcanological and volcano-structural study of Mátra Mountains and its vicinity, project leader, OTKA F026209, 800,000 HuF (1998-2001)
- Comparative volcano-sedimentological and paleogeographical investigation of the Miocene volcanism in Hungary, project leader, FKFP grant, 2,700,000 HuF (2000-2002)
- Data collection and preparation of volcanological field trip guides in Hungary, project leader, OTKA F032774,800,000 HuF (2000-2002)
- Volcanological research in the Hungarian andesite mountains, project leader, OTKA T043644, 4,400,000 HuF (2003-2006)
- Last eruptions of the Carpatho-Pannonian Region: Quaternary magmatism of the Southeastern Carpathians, participant, OTKA T68587, 13,000,000 HuF (2007-2011)